Saturday, March 19, 2016

Home Again

Robert soon settled into civilian life, resumed his studies at Edison Technical School, and was active at Central Lutheran Church in Seattle.  After graduating from Edison, he served a four-year apprenticeship with the Great Northern Railway, where he was a Journeyman Machinist for 31 years, until his early death at age 51 from natural causes.  He specialized in restoring steam engines, and at the time of his death, was getting ready to restore an engine in Olympia, Washington.

In 1948, he married Eleanore Enget from North Dakota, and had two children, a daughter (me) and a son. My parents had a happy 25 years together until his death.  At this writing, his wife and children are still alive, and cherish the happy times we had with him.

This blog was my way of connecting with my father 43 years after his death.  Since he died when I was only 23 years old, I really never had a chance to get to know him when I was an adult (at the time of his death, I was an Army wife with a husband stationed at Ft. Lewis, Washington.  We had just returned from a 13-month tour of duty in Korea during the Vietnam war.). After months of research and writing this blog, I feel I know my father better, and more clearly understand the forces that shaped his life.

Susan Arnold, March 2016
Snohomish, Washington
susanarnold2014@gmail.com


Honeymoon in San Francisco

Wedding Day (in front of their Home in North Seattle)

No comments:

Post a Comment